Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Sad News--Don't Feel Like Stitching Today

I have not stitched a stitch as of yet on my new blessings project. It's terrible how life gets in the way. I do have the fabric chosen, and I do have a bunch of ideas running around in my head. I'm very excited to get going on this! My squares are going to be 2" square; the more I thought about 1", the less I thought it would work well for me. My eventual goal is still 100 squares.

I really thought tonight would be 'the night' to start on this project; not to be. My DH has been retired going on 3 years now. He's been working very part-time at a local Sylvan Learning Center as an instructor for a couple of those years. As the economy has gotten worse, the number of students enrolled has steadily declined. While last year he was working 20+ hours a week most weeks, this winter he has been lucky to have 4 hours a week! We've had a feeling it was coming, but today he learned the center closes tomorrow. So, he'll be working his last two hours there tomorrow.

I'm sad for my DH, who was a teacher for the first 6 or 7 years of his 'after college' years. He taught junior high school, high school, community college, and freshman college courses. He spent the rest of his working life as a computer systems analyst (made a lot better money than teaching school). BUT, teaching was always his first love. I was thrilled for HIM that he got this chance to work with students again, at the end of his working years. He'll be 68 in September, so I'm not sure he'll get this chance again.

I'm also sad for those young minds who will miss out on getting to know my funny, smart, special DH and his fantastic sense of humor, as well as have the chance to improve their minds, particularly in all things math-related; (his expertise and first love). His expertise ranges from teaching a young child the basics of counting through most college-level mathematics courses. Needless to say, after that news, my mind hasn't been on stitching this evening.

Until next time...

Vicki in CO

22 comments:

~*Sharee*~ said...

So sorry to hear about your DH's job; good teachers are hard to find; hopefully he'll be able to find another teaching job.

Anonymous said...

I posted on your other blog too... :)
I'm a former teacher. Taught almost 10 years and had to bail because of the politics. My degree is a BEd and can't really transfer over into any other field. Also, I can't teach in any other state...the degree from Hawaii is more or less useless anywhere else.
I love working with students though.
Vicki, maybe it is a blessing...
He will be with you more...20 hours more a week...and maybe the two of you could 'teach' ...something.
Teaching is a process...and it's that process that we diagnose and work with. Maybe you can teach a craft...a hobby...maybe even to seniors...or young ones.
;)
smiles,
alicia in Hawaii

Unknown said...

Hi Vicki, sorry to hear about your DH not working anymore at the centre. Hugs xx

Emily in NC said...

Oh, that is so sad especially since he loves it so. Could he try volunteering at a local school, at least he could be helping the kids.

Kathy said...

Sorry to hear the bad news for your DH. :( It is sad when a place of learning can't stay operating. Would your DH be able to do tutoring privately?

I hope your stitching mojo returns soon.

Shelley said...

I am so sorry to hear this Vicki. You are so right, both DH and the children loose out in this situation. Sending you cyber hugs and I hope you get your stitching mojo back real soon.

Rene la Frog said...

That is sad. I'm sure the children who were helped by your DH will miss him.

Mel said...

That is too bad Vicki.
I do hope that maybe he can find another outlet to still pass on his wisdom?

Debbie Jo said...

I am so sorry to hear your DH will not be doing what he really enjoys. Has he though about tutoring on his own? I know he would not make as much as he would if he worked a job but maybe there are some students that could use a bit of help and pay something for his time. This could be a win win for both. I pray something will work out for both of you.

Unknown said...

Are there any community colleges or other schools nearby where he could post a notice to offer private tutoring? I've even seen folks' cards at the supermarkets, Starbucks, and Jamba Juice near our local schools. He could tutor at a neutral place like a coffee shop or library if either party is uncomfortable with someone coming to their home.

Anonymous said...

As your DH turns this page in his life I'm sure there will be a space for him to write another teaching adventure... teachers always bump into someone who needs their guidance. How wonderful for both you and your DH that your love, pride and respect for your DH is so great that you are willing to feel the sorrow for not only his loss in teaching but also for those who he could/would teach. You and he are blessed... there's another square in your 100 blessings... a big heart!!!

MaryT said...

Sorry to hear about this Vicki. Seems like everyday things are getting worse. Hopefully things will improve soon.

Carolyn NC said...

So sorry to hear this - hope he can find another tutorial post that can help other students. :)

Meari said...

Oh, that is sad, Vicki. Maybe he could contact the local schools and tutor on his own?

Nancy M said...

It's a shame that someone who enjoys teaching can't. But maybe something will come along again and spark his flame once again. I won't comment on the snow....that's just too darn depressing and I've been there before!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry about DH - I understand the economy is (slowly but surely) improving, so I hope that his downtime will be very temporary.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

I am sorry that those kids won't get his knowledge too. And he has such a great rapport with kiddos!! Hugs to him from us!

Debbie said...

I hope that your DH finds another job. Perhaps there might be something in part time studies through continuing education or ESL.

I always enjoy ready your blog Vicki.

Jenny Moore said...

So sorry to hear of your centers closing! I worked at Sylvan right after college while trying to find a job in Geology and loved every minute of it. VERY rewarding! Is there another center he can transfer to maybe? My heart goes out to you both and I hope you're feeling more like stitchin soon!

Jenny (the stitcher's hideaway)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your DH's job loss but everyone is cutting back. My son's hours got cut to one day a week from 4 days. I lost my part time job and my DH hasn't been able to find anything. I hope your stitching mojo returns Vicki and you DH has luck in finding a new spot!

Cindy's Stitching said...

Sorry to hear about your DH job loss. I am sure he will find a teaching job somewhere. Kids need good role models these days. Keep looking god will guide his path.

Anonymous said...

Hello Vicki,
Thank you for joining my contest. You didn't win this time. I will be having another contest on Monday if you are interested.

I am so sorry to hear about you DH and not being able to teach anymore. He is the kind of Teacher who we need in today's times. Someone who loves to teach. There just isn't many left like him. (((Hugs)))