Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Lap Quilt FInish

OK, my blog IS about my life and stitching, so that includes my quilting as well as cross stitching.  In my excitement to be cross stitching again, I totally forgot to show you the lap quilt I finished recently.  It was done for a class for the quilt guild I belong to.  The technique used was from the Beth Donaldson book "Block by Block" that is now out of print.  So, here it is draped over my hubby in the recliner. 

The class taught you how to complete a quilt with a quilt-as-you-go technique; machine quilting (or hand quilting if you choose) one block at a time.  After the blocks are quilted, you assemble the blocks into rows, joining each section and quilting the joined sashings and cornerstones.  After that, borders are added and quilted if you want, with binding put on last, as you would with a traditionally assembled quilt. 

The beauty of this technique is that it makes it much easier to machine quilt on your regular sewing machine because you aren't trying to maneuver a large amount of fabric at once.  I'm not explaining this very well, but trust me, for quilts you plan to actually USE rather than enter in a contest, this is a wonderful technique rather than spending big bucks having your creation quilted by a longarm quilter.

Happy Stitching - Vicki in CO

3 comments:

Rene la Frog said...

Love the quilt. This is something I have done once and never again. The way you have described how it was done sounds like something even I could do with my limited space.

Meari said...

Beautiful quilt!

Nancy M said...

Nice quilt! My mom stitched a king size one for me and now it needs to have a backing put on it, since all I have is the top part. I have to pay someone to finish it for me since I don't have a clue!